Beautiful cookies looking like peaches are traditional in the region of Abruzzo. They have won the love of many people, but they are especially enjoyed by children.
If you bake cookies for kids, the liquor should be boiled for the alcohol to evaporate.
In fact, you can use beet or carrot juice for coloring. However, it is a tradition to use Alkermes (Alchermes) liquor. It has a unique flavor that makes peach cookies particularly tasty and memorable.
Ingredients for Peach Alkermes
- Flour: 500 g.
- Sugar: 180 gr.
- Butter: 120 gr.
- Milk: 3 tbsp
- Eggs: 3
- Grated lemon zest: 1 tsp
- Baking powder: 1.5 tsp
- Alchermes liqueur: 100 ml.
- Sugar for coating.
- For the filling: Nutella or melted chocolate.
Recipe for Peach Alkermes
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, small pieces of butter, lemon zest and eggs in a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons milk, if necessary, to soften the dough.
- Knead smooth dough. Roll balls size of a walnut.
- Put the balls onto a baking sheet, leaving the distance from each other.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, in a preheated oven at 180C.
- When the pastry is cool, spread Nutella or melted chocolate, all over the bottom and connect the two parts.
- Pour some liquor into a small bowl, put some sugar in a saucer .
- Dip the peach cookies into the liquor, and quickly roll in sugar.
- Put the peaches in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Decorate with mint and serve.