This dish comes from Catania, Sicily, it combines strong flavors of the sultry Sicilian land.
It is suitable for the summer when the key ingredients are well available – tomatoes, eggplant and basil.
It is named after the eponymous passionate opera by Vincenzo Bellini, who was born in Catania.
Ingredients for Pasta alla Norma
- Onion: 1
- Fresh basil: a few leaves
- Eggplant: 1-2
- Olive oil.
- Pepper, salt: to taste.
- Peeled tomatoes: 500-600 gr.
- Salted Ricotta: 150 gr.
- Pasta spaghetti, bavette, tagliatelle, or any other 300 gr.
Recipe for Pasta alla Norma
- Fry finely chopped onions in a skillet.
- Add chopped tomatoes, then simmer the sauce until thickened. Before turning off the heat, add some basil.
- Slice the eggplants crosswise, place them in a colander, sprinkling layers with a little salt.
- Press the eggplants to facilitate the release of the fluid.
- About an hour after, fry the eggplant slices in a large amount of olive oil.
- Spread on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Cut the eggplants into strips and add them to the tomato sauce.
- Cook pasta in salted water. Drain in a colander and place into the sauce. Mix well.
- Serve sprinkled with grated salted ricotta.