Though young nettle is actually a medical herb, it may also be an ingredient in many tasty dishes like soups, sauces and borsch. Nettle contains many vitamins, vitamin K for example, and has anti-inflammatory properties. Here is the recipe for light and dietary sauce that will perfectly add vitamins and minerals to your diet. This sauce has a nice nutty flavor. You can serve it as side dish to meat and fish, or as a delicious topping for toasted bread.
Ingredients for Nettle Sauce
1 lb (1/2 kg) young nettle
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons (50 ml) olive oil
1 cup (200 ml) chicken broth
3 tablespoons (50 g) sour cream
Salt to taste
Recipe of Nettle Sauce
- Soak nettle in cold water for half an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly with running water.
- Use colander to drain water.
- Sort out leaves, remove roots and firm stems. Boil in salted water for 4-5 minutes.
- Put in colander and press slightly.
- Finely chop nettle.
- Fry flour in a frying pan until cream-colored, stirring regularly.
- Then pour oil in and add finely chopped onion.
- When onion becomes golden, pour chicken broth in, stirring regularly.
- Add boiled and chopped nettle.
- Stirring continuously, bring sauce to a boil.
- Now add sour cream.
- Let boil for 2 minutes and sauce is ready.
- Garnish with parsley or lettuce leaves and serve.