Solyanka is an indigenous dish of Russian cuisine. There are different kinds of solyanka soup. It goes without saying that early recipes didn’t include lemon and olives, but the main ingredients were traditionally either various sorts of meat for meat solyanka or fish for fish solyanka. But modern recipes are just as tasty as old ones. So try our delicious recipe for solyanka with deep smoked flavor.
Ingredients for Meat Solyanka
1 lb (500 g) beef
300 g ham
200 g uncooked smoked sausage
300 g smoked chicken breast
30 g capers
Lemon juice of a lemon
100 g olives
3 tomatoes or 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
Parsley or fennel to taste
Salt to taste
Recipe of Meat Solyanka
- Pour about 3 liters (6 pt) of water in a pot.
- Put whole chunk of beef.
- Boil for 40 minutes and remove foam with a skimmer if any.
- Meanwhile, cut other meat ingredients into dices or strips.
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Finely chop onion and tomatoes.
- When beef is done, remove and cut into dices.
- Put beef dices back into broth.
- Add dices (or strips) of chicken breast, ham and sausage.
- Then drop potatoes.
- Pour oil in a frying pan and sauté onion until golden.
- Then add tomatoes or tomato paste and sauté with onion for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add this sautéed mixture, capers and chopped pickles to broth.
- Cook everything together for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut olives and add to boiling soup.
- Pour lemon juice in and sprinkle with chopped greens.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Turn the heat off and serve.