Gingerbread has been baked in England from times immemorial. Then settlers brought the recipes to America where it became popular fast. From the North to the South ways of baking gingerbread differ, and many housewives have secrets of their own.
Ingredients for Gingerbread
- 2.2 lb flour
- 0.3 lb honey
- 0.3 lb brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 0.4 lb butter
- juice of one lemon
- 0.4 pt milk
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 nutmeg
- 0.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- Put honey and sugar in a pan with a thick bottom, stir and boil.
- Beat up eggs slightly in a dish, add milk, butter, salt.
- Then pour in the hot syrup, add grated nutmeg, ginger, soda, lemon juice.
- Add flour and knead soft slightly sticky dough. Cover with a film and put it away into the fridge for 2 hours.
- After that lay the dough out on a table sprinkled with flour and roll it out. Cut out pieces of any form you like.
- Pre-heat the oven to 356 degrees and bake gingerbread until golden.