These are sweet pastries typical of Puglia and other central and southern regions – Abruzzo, Molise, Calabria. Such small cookies or cupcakes with filling, called – bocconotti.
The most famous bocconotti originate from Castel Frentano, Abruzzo. There, they are stuffed with cinnamon and toasted almonds. Depending on the region, the method of preparing bocconotti slightly varies, as does their form and filling. In some places, you can enjoy marmalade bocconotti.
According to a legend, the origins of bocconotti lie in the 18th century, when a maid decided to make a culinary experiment for her master: to make a muffin in the form of a coffee cup. The outer shape was made of dough and the filling – of liquid chocolate and coffee. Since the muffin was too thin, she thickened it with almonds, yolks and powdered sugar.
Ingredients for Italian Cupcakes Chocolate Bocconotti with Almond
- Flour: 500 gr.
- Eggs: 3 pcs.
- Sugar: 180 gr.
- Olive oil: 100 g.
- Baking powder.
- For the filling: 100 gr. chocolate melted with 2-3 tbsp milk mixed with 2-3 tbsp. toasted ground almonds.
Recipe for Italian Cupcakes Chocolate Bocconotti with Almond
- Whisk eggs with sugar until thick, light cream.
- Add the flour, some baking powder, and butter. Mix until uniform.
- Put the mixture into paper molds, sprinkled with large sugar, placing a little filling in the middle.
- Bake for twenty minutes, at 180C.