Scabbard fish lives in the warm seas and has a perfect taste and is rich in nutrients. This fish is not very difficult to cook, but dishes made of it are delicious, since the flesh of the scabbard fish is fat and soft. You can simply roll it in flour and fry, or simmer, and of course you can cook it in batter. We made this fish in wonderful batter prepared with white wine and nutmeg which matches the fish taste to perfection.
Ingredients for Scabbard Fish in Batter
- 2.2 lb scabbard fish
- 1-2 eggs
- 0.18-0.22 lb/ 0.3-0.4 cup/ 80-100 g flour
- 0.4 cup/ 3.4 fl oz/ 100 g dry white wine
- 1/2 nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- oil for frying, as much as needed
- Wash and scale the fish. Cut it into slices about 4-6 inches long and pat dry with a paper towel.
- To make batter mix eggs with salt and finely grated nutmeg. Add flour, lemon juice and mix in white wine until the batter is watery.
- Pour enough oil into a stewpot and heat it well.
- Then pin the fish slices on a fork, dip into the batter and put into the stewpot.
- Fry the fish on both sides for 2-3 minutes. When the fish gets pleasantly brown take it out and put on a serving plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- The fish is better eaten hot with radicchio salad and different vegetables.