Croquettes originate from France, but now they gained worldwide popularity. They can have different ingredients – besides potato you can add cheese, fish, meat, vegetables, mushrooms. They are usually shaped as a cylinder, but you can make them round. To give the croquettes a pleasant smell we added nutmeg and parsley, and also some Parmesan for a richer taste.
Ingredients for Croquettes with Meat and Potato
- 1.2 lb minced beef
- 3-4 potatoes, not large
- 2 eggs
- 0.2 lb Parmesan
- 1 nutmeg
- a few sprigs of parsley
- 2-3 pieces of dry bread
- oil for frying
- flour or breadcrumbs for coating
Recipe for Italian Croquettes
- Boil potatoes in their skins until soft, peel them and mash.
- Mix up mashed potatoes, minced beef, eggs, chopped parsley, grated nutmeg, salt to taste.
- Put dry bread into water, squeeze it out and add to the mixture. Grate Parmesan and add to the mixture.
- Shape the croquettes and encase them in breadcrumbs.
- Pour oil into a deep frying-pan. The croquettes should be covered completely.
- Fry the croquettes in small batches until golden, turning them over from time to time.
- You can serve the croquettes either hot or cold, with salads or vegetables.