This pink-fleshed smallish fish is regarded to be a base for some exquisite dishes.
In the ancient times surmullet (or red mullet) was sold for silver, and in Turkey it was a food for the sultan. It is one of the most expensive fishes even these days, highly appreciated for its tender sweetish taste.
Here is the simplest way to cook surmullet that will retain its wonderful taste and smell for you.
Ingredients for Fried Surmullet
- 2 lb surmullet
- 5 glasses oil for frying
Recipe for Fried Surmullet
- Scale the fish, gut it and cut off the gills. Wash in running water, dry.
- Roll every fish in flour, shake off the surplus flour.
- Pour oil into the fryer and heat it well.
- Put in the fish by 4-5 pieces and fry until nicely golden.
- Take the cooked fish out and lay them on a plate covered with a paper napkin, to soak up excess oil.
- Salt, pepper and serve hot.