Eclairs, or custard pastry, originated in France. It was there where a pastry made with choux pastry filled with a cream was first baked. This highly popular goody is very easy to make. The taste of eclairs is splendid and the dough is light and airy. Cream versions run the gamut. We made eclairs filled with coffee and nut flavored cream that gives them, in our opinion, some extra appeal. Eclairs can be served as a snack for tea or coffee. These small pastries would be also a great option to finish a romantic dinner with, especially if served along with white dry white.
Ingredients for Choux Pastry
- 1 cup high grade flour
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Cream
- ¾ 35% fat cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee
- 50 g pignoli and pistachios
- Bring water with butter and salt to boil in a small pot.
- Then add flour gradually, stirring. Knead soft elastic dough without any lumps and turn the heat off.
- Cool the dough down and stir in eggs one at a time. Add new egg only when the previous one was thoroughly mixed in.
- Then add a teaspoonful of lemon juice and blend everything again.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe the dough into an oblong shapes on a baking paper lined baking sheet.
- Send the baking sheet into well pre-heated oven.
- Bake at the temperature of 350 degrees (180 C) for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the cream. Whisk cold cream with sugar and instant coffee with a mixer.
- Crush the nut mix in a blender into paste.
- Combine the nut paste with whisked cream and beat the mixture again.
- Puncture eclairs on the points and fill them with the cream using a pastry bag.
- Garnish with the cream on top.
- If there is no pastry bag or pastry syringe available, just slice the eclairs along and stuff the cream in with a spoon before they cool down.