An apple strudel is an excellent dessert made of stretched thin dough. Its recipe originates in Vienna. Vienna is famous for the gentlest, crispiest strudels with various fillings. But the apple strudel is the most popular of course. They say that Austrian girls learn to bake a tasty apple strudel in order to marry. And if the fiancé’s parents like her strudel, the wedding is as good as done. You can make dough for two strudels from this amount of flour. If you do not want to bake two strudels, you can freeze half of the dough and use it next time. But then you must take twice less filling also.
Ingredients for Dough
- 0.9 lb/ 400 g flour
- 1 tablespoon 6 % grape vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 0.6 cup warm water
- 0.2 lb/ 100 g butter
Ingredients for Filling
- 6-7 apples
- 0.4 lb/ 200 g raisins
- 6-7 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Pour the sifted flour into a big bowl and mix it with salt. Then make a hole in the middle and beat in the eggs, then add butter and vinegar.
- Knead the dough with your hands adding warm water gradually. Knead the dough for about 15-20 minutes. Your dough must be soft, elastic and not stick to the hands.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces, form balls. Flatten each ball slightly, oil them with butter, then put them one on another and press the edges.
- Put these 4 pressed together double patties into a wide bowl or another kitchen ware, cover up and put into the fridge for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Wash and dice apples, mix them with raisins, breadcrumbs and sugar.
- Two hours later you can start cooking the dough. Butter the patties again, put them one on another. You will get 2 patties. Then you must roll them flat as thinly as possible.
- Then put them on a piece of fabric and stretch gradually in all directions making the dough almost transparent.
- Afterwards oil the dough with melted butter, dust it with breadcrumbs and put out a thin layer of filling over the dough evenly.
- Fold it into a roll and put it on an oiled baking sheet. Coat its top with butter.
- Bake strudels at the temperature of 360 F (180 C) for 40 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 260 F (130 C) and continue baking for 20-30 minutes more. This way the strudels will be baked well both outside and inside. You will need to coat the strudels with butter three times during baking.
- You can eat strudels cold as well as hot.