The Germans love and know how to cook tasty herring. Pickled herring with a tasty filling is great for snacks. Goes well with baked potato.
Besides, it is known a good anti-hangover remedy.
Ingredients for German Herring Rollmops
- Salted herring: 3-4
- Carrot: 1-2
- Onions: 1-2
- Pickled cucumbers: 1-2
- For the marinade – 2 glasses of water and a glass of 5-6% vinegar, 2 tsp. sugar, cloves, coriander, black pepper and bay leaf. You can add other spices that you like.
- Vegetable oil.
Recipe for German Herring Rollmops
- Peel carrots and onion, chop finely .
- Boil some water in a saucepan, put all the ingredients therein – carrots, onion, coriander, bay leaves, a pinch of pepper, cloves, sugar. Cook for 10 minutes. Then add the vinegar.
- Remove carrots and onions from the marinade using a skimmer.
- Scale the herring, cut into fillets, remove the spine with ribs and small bones.
- Beat the herring fillets lightly through a plastic wrap, generously oil, top with carrots, onions and slices of pickled cucumbers.
- Roll each fillet and fix with a wooden skewer.
- Place the rollmops into a jar, pour the cold marinade over, close tightly.
- Leave in the fridge overnight.