Fusilli is corkscrew-shaped pasta. In Italy, fusilli is made with whole wheat flour. Try this fusilli recipe with the sauce of tomatoes, pumpkin and mackerel. This meal is a fabulously tasty way to get all essential vitamins and minerals. For example, mackerel is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, tomatoes are a source of lycopene, and pumpkin contains a lot of iron.
Ingredients for Fusilli with Pumpkin and Mackerel Sauce
- 300g fusilli
- 300g pumpkin
- 400g canned mackerel
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 parsley stalks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon peppered olive oil
Recipe for Fusilli with Pumpkin and Mackerel Sauce
- Chop garlic and parsley finely.
- Peel pumpkin and dice finely.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters.
- Pour the mackerel sauce into a bowl.
- Mash mackerel pieces with a fork and leave some pieces whole.
- Pour olive oil into a frying pan and sauté garlic. Then add tomatoes, parsley, and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add pumpkin, mackerel sauce and a spoonful of peppered olive oil. If peppered oil is not handy, stir in some chili peppers.
- Cover again and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Add mashed mackerel and mix everything well.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, then uncover and keep simmering for additional 5 minutes to evaporate excessive liquid.
- Add whole mackerel pieces and turn the heat off.
- Boil fusilli. Pour enough water into a pot and salt.
- Once water starts boiling, drop in pasta and cook for about 10 minutes until al dente.
- Use a colander to drain water.
- Arrange pasta on plates, top with mackerel and pour over with the sauce. Serve hot.