These are typical sweet pastries baked in Italy for Father’s Day. On this day, all confectioneries sell fresh choux rings decorated with a cherry. They are given to beloved dads.
They are called Zeppole or Bigne di San Giuseppe and are dedicated to all the fathers represented by St. Joseph. Can say that Zeppole – symbol of this holiday.
Ingredients for Choux ring
- Water: 250 ml.
- Butter: 100 g.
- Flour: 250 gr.
- Eggs: 5
- A pinch of salt.
Ingredients for custard
- Milk: 300 ml.
- Sugar: 100 gr.
- Egg yolks: 3
- Corn starch 25 g.
- Powdered sugar and cherries for decoration.
Recipe for Choux ring with custard
- Bring water with butter and a pinch of salt to a boil. Remove from the heat, add all the flour. Stir well with a wooden spoon and return onto the cooker. Continue stirring to form a ball that will come off the walls.
- Leave to cool down. Add eggs one by one into the warm mixture when the previous one is absorbed.
- Put the mixture into a pastry bag with a star tip.
- Squeeze the dough rings. Do not make them too big, or they will be more difficult to bake.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (180 ° -200 °C). There is a higher-calorie option – deep-fried rings. Choose what you like.
- To make the cream, whisk egg yolks with sugar, add the cornstarch.
- Bring the milk to a boil. Trickle the yolks in, constantly whisking. After 20 seconds the cream is ready.
- It is time to fill the rings. It is best to cut them lengthwise and spread the cream all over, so there will not be any voids.
- Sprinkle icing sugar and garnish with cherry.