A sheatfish, or a catfish, is a freshwater fish with no scales. Latin name is Silurus glanis. This predatory fish can grow to a huge size. The catfish occurs in warm waters. Its meat is almost boneless (except spine) with a soft texture and mildly sweet delicious taste. Try this recipe and your family will be pleased. The fish is also a good source of easily digestible proteins and phosphorus which are very good for health.
Ingredients for Baked Sheatfish
3-4 lb (1,5-2 kg) catfish
1 sour apple
4 garlic cloves
4-5 dill twigs
100 g ketchup
Salt, spices to taste
Recipe for Baked Sheatfish
- Gut the catfish, rinse under running water.
- Chop garlic finely and combine with salt, spices and ketchup.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the fish, inside and out.
- Let stand for an hour.
- Cut a sour apple into medium pieces.
- Stuff the belly cavity with apple pieces and dill.
- Place the fish in an oil-coated baking-dish.
- Bake in oven at medium heat for 40-60 minutes depending on the size of the fish.
- Serve hot or cold with tomatoes, greens, and black olives.