In this recipe we use ginger alongside of mussels which makes for a brighter taste of the sauce. This piquant note is just what goes fine with mussels’ sea flavor. Short hollow macaroni penne or mezze penne go well with this sauce.
Ingredients for Pasta with Mussels and Ginger
- 2.2 lb mussels in shells
- 0.32 pt white wine
- 0.17 pt olive oil
- 0.7 lb macaroni mezze penne
- 0.05 lb ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
Recipe for Pasta with Mussels and Ginger
- Put fresh live mussels into a wide pan with no water, cover up and put on medium heat. When all the mussels have opened up take them out. Strain the juice that oozed out into a cup through a thick sieve. This juice is always used for the sauce.
- Take mussel flesh out of shells leaving a few for decoration.
- Pour about 0.1 pt oil into a deep frying-pan and fry finely chopped garlic. Then add parsley and one teaspoon grated ginger.
- In a minute pour in wine and half of the mussel juice, turn the heat up, 2-3 minutes later pour in the rest of the juice.
- Add more oil, put in mussels, in 2-3 minutes turn off the heat.
- Pour 6.3 pt water into a pan, add two tablespoonfuls rough salt, boil and put in macaroni. Boil the macaroni until al dente, strain in a colander.
- Put the macaroni into the frying-pan with the sauce and mix. Serve the dish hot.