Savoy cabbage has a loose head with pimple-bearing crinkled leaves. Its mineral and vitamin compositions exceed those of its close relative – white cabbage – and the same goes for the taste. Here is the recipe for savoy cabbage with rice, a typical one for Italian cuisine. This dish is sure to have a special appeal for vegetarians. It is very tasty and nourishing. Its taste resembles an easy version of cabbage rolls.
Ingredients for Savoy Cabbage with Rice
- 1 head savoy cabbage
- 0.3-0.4 lb rice
- 0.4 lb grated tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4-5 parsley stalks
- 5-6 tablespoons olive oil
- grated Parmesan, salt, pepper to taste
- Chop the garlic finely and fry it in olive oil.
- Add chopped parsley and after another minute add tomatoes.
- In two or three minutes put roughly cut cabbage into the sauce.
- Simmer it all together for about 10 minutes and then add rice and 2 cup of water. Add a little more water later if it is not enough.
- Salt it, pepper to taste. The dish is ready when the rice gets soft, but it should not be overdone.
- Serve the dish hot. Sprinkle it with grated cheese if you wish.