Ribollita is certainly one of the most popular dishes of the traditional Tuscan cuisine.
Beyond doubt, this very modest dish is of peasant origin. Ribollita word really means – boiled again.
In Tuscany, every province and every city has its own version of this soup.
We offer our version.
Ingredients for Tuscan Ribollita Soup
- Black Tuscan cabbage, kale (if it is not, you can take a Savoy cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower): 250-300 gr.
- Potatoes: 2
- Carrot 2
- Boiled Beans: 200 gr.
- Onion: 1-2
- Stemmed celery: a pair of stems.
- Tomatoes: 2-3
- Tomato puree: 1 cup.
- Olive oil: about 100 ml.
- Salt, pepper and other spices to taste.
- Slices of dried bread.
Recipe for Tuscan Ribollita Soup
- Chop onions, carrots, and celery finely.
- Put them all in a pan with a thick bottom, pour some olive oil.
- Simmer over low heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Next, add beans and diced potatoes and continue to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add chopped black cabbage, salt, pepper, spices, pour some water.
- Simmer the soup until cooked and until the vegetables get soft. Density of soup, adjust to your taste.
- Serve with slices of dried bread.
- A little fresh olive oil is often added in a bowl of Ribollita soup.