Tiger shrimp rank high on the list of sea delicacies. Tiger shrimp (Penaeus kerathurus) get their name from the dark strips on their shells.
They may grow as long as 8 inches. Unlike other shrimp, they lay eggs on the sea floor instead of depositing eggs on their abdomen.
Tiger shrimp are found at a depth of 160 feet. At day time they hide in the sand and in the evening they come out for hunting – tiger shrimp feed on microorganisms.
They are abundant in the Adriatic Sea. Tiger shrimp have excellent flesh that is highly prized on the seafood market. It contains such essential substances as zinc, phosphorus, iron, proteins, Omega-3 fatty acid, the vitamins B12 and PP. The shrimp flesh is low in calories which makes it a great diet food.
Ingredients for Grilled Tiger Shrimp
1 lb tiger shrimp
1 tablespoon (20 ml) olive oil
Salt to taste
Recipe of Grilled Tiger Shrimp
- Rinse shrimp in running water.
- Dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice and salt.
- Sprinkle shrimp with this mixture.
- Let marinade for 30 minutes.
- Place shrimp on the preheated grill.
- Grill each side for 3 minutes.
- It is done when shells turn red.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Cover grilled shrimp with lime juice if desired.