It is a traditional German dish that is served with sausage rolls. You get cabbage with a rich sweetish-sour taste. Traditionally it is cooked with duck or goose fat, but we can take olive oil instead for a dietary version.
Ingredients for Red Cabbage Stewed with Apples
- 1 cabbagehead
- 3 red onions
- 2 tablespoons dry thyme
- 3 apples sour
- 0.6 pt apple juice
- 3 tablespoons apple vinegar
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 0.1 pt olive oil
Recipe for Red Cabbage Stewed with Apples
- Cop cabbage, cut onions in half rings, cut apples into cubes.
- Pour oil in a pan with a thick bottom. Heat it and fry onion for 2 minutes.
- Put in apples and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Then add cabbage, apple juice, vinegar, lemon juice and honey.
- Bring to boil, put in thyme, cover up and simmer on a very low heat for an hour. During this period pour in about 0.4 pt hot water so that the cabbage isn’t too dry.
- You can eat cabbage either hot or cold.