It is a folded pizza. It looks not as attractive as an open one. Nevertheless, it turns out no less delicious, even more juicy and flavored.
For a calzone pizza, you may take any traditional pizza filling. You can use puff or yeast dough.
Pizza with a filling, which we have prepared today, is traditionally cooked on Christmas Eve in Naples.
Vegetarians will be pleased with this recipe, because there are no animal products in it.
Ingredients for Pizza Calzone
For the dough for 2 pizzas
- Flour: 500 g.
- Water: 250 ml.
- Salt 1 tsp
- Olive oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Fresh yeast 20 gr.
for the filling
- Escarole endive (scarola): 1
- A handful of raisins.
- Handful of olives.
- Capers in salt 1 tbsp
- Pine nuts (pinoli): 1 tbsp
- Olive oil: 3-4 tbsp
- Clove of garlic.
Recipe for Pizza Calzone
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add flour, salt, olive oil. Knead elastic dough.
- Roll into a ball and leave for 2-3 hours.
- Divide escarole (scarola) into stems.
- Pour some oil into a deep stewing pan and fry the garlic. Put in the scarola and capers. Cover and simmer over low heat.
- Add raisins, pine nuts and olives. Simmer until scarola gets tender, and excess liquid evaporates.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces; roll out thinly. Better, flatten the dough with your fingers, so as not to disturb the bubbles. Real pizzaiollos do so. Their pizza is very gentle. If you roll the dough with a rolling pin, it will be rougher.
- Put the filling on a half of the dough circle and cover with the other half, clipping the edges. Form 2 pizzas and put them on a baking tray.
- Heat the oven beforehand. Bake about 428F for 15-20 minutes.