The peculiarity of this recipe lies in the way you prepare the duck – first you boil it with spices until half ready, then you bake it in the oven. Before you bake it you smear it with a mixture often containing honey, mustard and other spices. Since we don’t like our meat to be sweetish, we took Worcester sauce instead of honey. The meat acquired a harmonious taste with a crispy and piquant skin.
Another advantage of this recipe is that you get a delicious flavorful broth that you can use for a soup or risotto later.
Ingredients for Duck Stuffed with Apples
- 4 lb duck
- a couple of rosemary twigs
- 2 onions
- coriander and pea pepper, cloves
- 2-3 bay leaf
- 1- 2 sour apple
Ingredients for mixture for smearing
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons Worcester sauce
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon mixture of ground hot peppers (white, black, pink)
- 3 garlic cloves
Recipe for Baked Duck Stuffed with Apples
- Wash the duck and clean it of fluff carefully. Wings and legs may open up in an unseemly fashion while cooking, so it’s a good idea to tie them up with a cord.
- Fill a pan with water so that it covers the duck completely. Add all the spices lavishly, it’s no time to stint, and salt it.
- Boil the duck until it’s half ready. We boiled it for 30 minutes, then turned off the heat and left it in the broth for another half hour letting it get steeped in the spices better.
- Prepare the mixture for smearing – squeeze garlic, mix it with mustard, Worcester sauce, salt and other spices.
- Take the duck out of the broth, let it dry and smear with the mixture, having first made several cuts with a knife so that the mixture gets deeper under the skin.
- Cut apples into large pieces. Smear them with the remainder of the mixture and stuff the duck.
- Leave it for 30 minutes for the duck to steep well, then put it into the oven and bake at 356 degrees for an hour or longer.