Spelt has a slight nutty flavor and the remarkable property to accentuate the advantages of other products. It functions as the basis for creating a bright rich dish.
Italians have been using spelt (farro) for five thousand years and are not going to quit consuming it.
Ingredients for Soup with Mushrooms and Spelt
- Dried porcini mushrooms: 30-40 gr.
- Potatoes: 2
- Carrot: 1
- Onions: 1
- Spelt (farro): about 100-150 grams.
- Tomato puree (passata): 100 gr.
- Olive oil: 4-5 tbsp
- Vegetable broth or water: 1-1.5 liters.
- Salt, pepper, basil, oregano: all to taste.
Recipe for Soup with Mushrooms and Spelt
- Mushrooms should soak in cold water for 20 minutes. Then, pull the mushroom out of the water and press them.
- Filter the water; it can be used for soup.
- Fry chopped onions and carrots with olive oil in a saucepan with a thick bottom.
- Then add spelt, mushrooms, and tomato puree (in a couple of minutes).
- Pour the broth, add potatoes, salt and spices. Cook the soup until it is ready.
- Serve hot.