Gogi berries (Lycium barbarum, Lycium chinense), belong with solanaceae, solanberries. They grow naturally in the Himalayas, in Tibet, Mongolia and in China. Lately these berries have come to other countries as well bearing a reputation of being highly salubrious.
According to traditional Chinese medicine gogi is an elixir that helps maintain excellent health. Modern science has already investigated the contents of this marvelous gift of nature. Gogi turned out to have so many beneficial qualities that it will take a long time to enumerate them all.
What is the benefit of goji
- They contain a high amount of antioxidants which play a great part in fighting down free radicals and preventing the development of skin cancer-related diseases. Research conducted by Australian experts revealed that gogi berries are able to impede the development of skin cancer, slow down cell proliferation.
- Gogi possess anti-inflammatory properties: they are rich in vitamins and minerals in addition to essential fat acids and components like B-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin that are beneficial for the eyes.
- The content of vitamin C in these berries is 500 times more than in the orange. Tibetan monks value them so high that they call them red diamonds. Gogi are also rich in calcium.
- These berries enhance metabolism and thus are conducive to weight loss, assuring quality sleep, strengthening memory, improving the general appearance.
- They are also regarded to be an aphrodisiac bringing greater vitality.
- Stimulate the immune system, improve heart function and contribute to the regulation of blood sugar.