Rosemary is an aromatic evergreen shrub. It is cultivated in Africa, Asia and Mediterranean countries. Its name is derived form the Latin ros marimus, meaning “sea dew”.
Rosemary has small, green, needle-shaped, leathery leaves. In culinary, rosemary is used as an aromatic seasoning to meat and poultry dishes, baked fish as well as in sausages and salads. Rosemary makes the perfect seasoning for pork meat fried with garlic and sprinkled over with lemon juice.
Rosemary has a pine scent, a bit spicy and piquant. You can steep rosemary in olive oil for very fragrant cooking oil you may use for a wide range of dishes and salads. To preserve rosemary, the whole shrubs is dried out in early spring or at the beginning of summer and then dry leaves are grounded. Rosemary’s been known for its medical properties since Ancient times.
Essential Oil of Rosemary
Rosemary contains essential oil. The following substances are found in the oil: pinene, cineole, triterpenic acids, flavonoids (including the strongest antioxidant rosemary acid that can enhance the effect of other antioxidants), limonene, camphene, tannins and borneol.
Rosemary Health Benefits
- Rosemary has antibacterial and antispasm effects.
- It helps improve stomach function and normalizes digestion.
- Rosemary helps low blood pressure because it contains the substances that stimulate blood circulation.
- This herb helps fight cellulite. Add a few drops of rosemary oil into your bath and massage your affected parts to improve blood circulation and remove water congestion in tissues.
- Rosemary can help against hair loss. Just add a bit of rosemary oil into your shampoo and your hair will be shiningly healthy and strong.
- Rosemary is used as diuretic, expectorant and sedative.
- This herb also regulates menstrual cycle.
- It improves memory and brain function as well as slows down the ageing process.
Note: To treat heart conditions, you can make “Energetic tea”. Drop a handful of ground dry rosemary leaves into one liter (2 pt) of high-quality dry wine. Infuse for couple of days and drink 0/5 cup of the mixture per day after meal.