You need young and firm Slippery Jack mushrooms for pickling. First, rinse them thoroughly and trim off the ends of stems. Peel the skin off the caps. The taste of pickled mushrooms largely depends on the marinade. That’s why choose the marinade ingredients to your taste. You can make any marinade you want – spicy, aromatic or sour.
Ingredients for Pickled Slippery Jack Mushrooms
- 2lb Slippery Jack mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon large-grained salt
- 2-3 tablespoons 4-6% grape vinegar
- 4-6 bay leaves
- 8-10 whole black peppers
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Recipe for Pickled Slippery Jack Mushrooms
- Boil mushrooms in a large quantity of water.
- Cook for 10 minutes and then drain water.
- Now prepare marinade. Pour a pint of water (one-half of a liter) into a pot.
- Add a tablespoonful of salt and a teaspoonful of sugar, bay leaf, pepper, clove and vinegar.
- Bring the marinade to boil and add mushrooms.
- Boil everything together for 10 minutes and then stuff the mushrooms into a jar and pour in marinade.
- Store in refrigerator.
- For longer storage, add additional 2 tablespoons of vinegar into the marinade and expose a jar to steam for 30 minutes before putting mushrooms into it.