It is better to take small artichokes for pickling. Marinade recipe isn’t difficult at all. You can improvise and add some new ingredients as you like. You can pickle artichokes for storage or for one meal. These tasty flower buds would make a great side dish to meat or fish and enrich any meal.
Ingredients for Pickled Artichokes
- 4 lbs (2 kg) small artichokes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons 9% vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Parsley, celery
- Wash artichokes and peel off tough outer leaves.
- Cut off stems and tough tops.
- Immerse peeled artichokes in a bowl of water mixed with lemon juice to prevent oxidation.
- You’ll get 2 lbs (1 kg) of peeled artichokes.
- Pour 2 pints (1 liter) of water in a pot, add salt, sugar, vinegar, olive oil and bring to a boil.
- Drop in artichokes and boil for 5 minutes.
- Line the bottom of glass jars with garlic cloves, parsley and celery. Stuff the jars with hot artichokes.
- Then pour in the marinade.
- Screw the lids tight. For longer storage, expose jars to steam for 10-15 minutes before putting artichokes into them.