These bivalve clams with beautiful shells and tasty thick flesh are known as callista (Callista chione) or fasolari. Generally they are used for sauces to pasta, or prepare white or red sauté and eat with bread. The food is tasty and worthy of a gourmet table.
Ingredients for Sauté with Clams
- Clams fazolari: 500-600 gr.
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves.
- Parsley: a pair of branches.
- Olive oil: a pair of tablespoons.
- White wine: 0.5 cup.
Recipe for Sauté with Clams
- Pour salted water over live clams and leave them like that for several hours; then wash them carefully and keep a lookout for damaged or open ones. To check raw clams for freshness, look for those with their shells still closed. Clams that are already open are no good so you should dispose of them.
- Fry garlic and parsley in a roasting pan.
- Put in clams, cover up. Cook on medium heat, until the opening of all the shells. Shells that are still closed after cooking should be thrown away, since the meat have most likely gone bad inside.
- After that pour in the wine and keep stewing for about 5 minutes. Be sure not to overcook the clams or they’ll become tough.
- You can use this sauté as sauce with spaghetti. It is often eaten just on a piece of village bread placed on a plate.