Eggplant paste is a very tasty and delicate dish. It has a mild mushroom flavor which is created by sautéing carrot, onion and tomatoes in olive oil and adding freshly grated garlic at the end. A little trick behind tasty eggplant paste is using a small amount of oil. Choose high quality oil, extra virgin olive oil at best. Eggplant paste makes an amazing appetizer. You can use it as a spread for toasts, crackers or fresh bread slices.
Ingredients for Eggplant Paste
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5-6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the stems off eggplants and boil them whole.
- Boil until soft (check doneness with a fork), remove from water and put under some weight. For example, place a pot of water on them. It is needed to remove excessive juice. Then peel eggplants and mash until paste.
- Pour a half of olive oil in a large frying pan. Sauté finely chopped onion until golden and add coarsely grated carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring, then add chopped tomatoes and season with salt to taste. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Now add mashed eggplants, tomato paste and simmer for additional 2-3 minutes, stirring thoroughly. Turn the heat off.
- Grind 3 garlic cloves. Combine with eggplant paste, pour in the other half of olive oil, add salt to taste and stir well.
- Serve cold.