Here is a version of saltimbocca alla romana recipe. In this recipe we use slices of lamb belly called “ventresca” in Italy. We changed traditional saltimbocca recipe by simmering meat in an appetizing Pizzaiola sauce with tomatoes and oregano. People who love to dip bread into sauces are going to love this saltimbocca recipe. This dish is stomach-friendly because lamb meat is low in fat, tasty and succulent.
Ingredients for Pizzaiolla sauce
- 300g tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 0.5 teaspoon oregano
Ingredients for saltimbocca
- 1 lb lamb meat
- 50-70g Prosciutto ham
- Saffron, 1 leaf per saltimbocca
- Couple of basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, white pepper
Recipe for Pizzaiolla Sauce
- Peel tomatoes and chop finely.
- Chop garlic and sauté in olive oil until golden.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, oregano and salt to taste. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Pizzaiola sauce is ready.
Recipe for Saltimbocca in Pizzaiolla Sauce
- Cut Prosciutto ham into 0.5-inch thick slices.
- Put a Prosciutto slice and a basil leaf on each lamb slice.
- Fold up lamb slices, pin saffron leaf on top side and fix the edges with toothpicks.
- Roll each saltimbocca in flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Put saltimboccas with saffron side down and fry for 2 minutes. Then turn over. Fry on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Put done saltimboccas into the sauce and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes, turning over occasionally.
- Remove toothpicks, season with pepper and serve hot.