Bell pepper stuffed with meat and rice is delicious, nourishing and stomach friendly meal. Peppers are even tastier if you stuff them with finely cut meat instead of ground one. We use two different sorts of fresh basil to give this pepper a special zest. Jeera also adds its unique flavor to the amazing taste of meat. If you don’t have our spices at hand, feel free to use any greens that suit your taste.
Ingredients for Bell Pepper Stuffed with Meat and Rice
2 lb (1 kg) bell pepper
1 lb (400 g) pork or beef meat
200 g rice
4-5 garlic cloves
Several leaves of violet and green basil
1 teaspoon jeera (spice for rice)
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt, black pepper to taste
Recipe for Bell Pepper Stuffed with Meat and Rice
- Wash the rice and soak in cold water for half an hour.
- Cut stems off peppers; remove seeds.
- Finely chop meat and onions.
- Coarsely grate carrots and garlic.
- Dip tomatoes into boiling water and peel the skin off. Finely grate or chop in a blender.
- Pour oil in a frying pan.
- Add chopped meat and fry well.
- Then stir chopped onions in and cook until golden.
- Add grated carrot, mix everything and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now stir tomatoes in, season with garlic, jeera, basil and simmer for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice to the mixture and simmer until rice is half done.
- Now add salt, pepper and mix everything well.
- Stuff peppers with the mixture.
- Take thick-bottomed pot and arrange stuffed peppers in tight rows.
- Line the bottom with cabbage or lettuce leaves to ensure peppers don’t slide.
- Cover with a plate or cabbage leaves and put a lid on.
- Tip slightly salted water into the pot at the side just enough to cover peppers or a bit below them.
- Cook on a very low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with sour cream or mayo.