This waffles are a popular delicacy in many countries. They are especially loved in America.
They have a high grid and deep pockets.
Although, within Belgium itself, these waffles are known as Brussels waffles. And the dough for them make with brewer’s yeast.
The soft plump waffles are perfectly combined with fruit, ice cream, chocolate, berries and whipped cream.
If you want waffles with airy texture, follow our recipe. If you prefer more dense and crispy ones, do not whisk anything, simply mix all the ingredients.
Ingredients for Belgian Waffles
- Flour: 1 cup.
- Soft butter: 100 gr.
- Sugar: 2 tbsp.
- Eggs: 2
- Milk: 50 ml.
- Baking powder or brewer’s dried yeast: 1 tsp
- A pinch of salt.
- Vanilla essence: a couple of drops.
Recipe for Belgian Waffles
- Whip butter with egg yolks and sugar.
- Add milk, vanilla, salt and baking powder.
- Sift the flour and knead the dough. If you use yeast, leave the dough for 30 minutes.
- Then add egg whites whipped into solid foam and mix the dough until smooth.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Spread a portion of the dough in the middle and bake until golden.