When you’re pregnant it is sometimes difficult not to indulge in some unwholesome food. Now, scientists say that mothers who eat unhealthy food during pregnancy often give birth to children with mental disorders.
Researchers at Deakin University, Australia, analyzed over 23,000 mothers and their children. It emerged that mothers who ate more unwholesome food when they were pregnant, such as – trans fats, sugary soft drinks, refined grains, too salty, and other not natural food, had children with behavioral problems like aggression and hysteria.
Besides the research reveals that babies who eat unwholesome food and products that are not rich in nutrients in their first years, for example vegetables, fish, meat, fruit, also manifest aggressive and problematic behavior, symptoms of depression, anxiety, and even imbecility.
The National Health Service of the United Kingdom holds that although there is no need to follow a special diet during pregnancy, it is important to eat many different healthy products to provide the mother and baby a proper balance of nutrients.
Scientists urge to buy less processed food. Instead of snacking on junk food with a high content of trans fats and sugar go for a healthier meals. Try to cook at home from fresh products.
Examples of healthy snacks
- Vegetable salad, such as with beets, carrots, celery, cucumbers.
- Baked beans or baked potato
- Sandwiches or pitta bread with cheese, tuna, salmon or sardines, and any salad.
- Low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Hummus with pita bread and olive oil.
- Dried apricots, figs and prunes, as well any fresh fruit.
- Vegetable and bean soups.
- Unsweetened breakfast cereals, or any porridge with milk.
- Milk and unsweetened fresh fruit juices.
The general conclusions of scientists – try to cook at home more simple and healthy food from good products and you will have healthy, calm and smart kids.
The results are published in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.