Those who have eaten Neapolitan taralli with pepper and almond once will never forget the taste. Little crispy rings with a piquant taste are eaten as appetizers, they are good with wine, for picnics and journey snacks. The original old recipe includes pork fat that gives the dough a special flavor, flakiness and crispness. You can replace some of the fat with butter. Some recipes advise to take half the amount of fat and the other half – olive oil. Choose the variant that seems best to you.
Ingredients for Taralli Neapolitan Way
- 2.2 lb flour
- 0.6 lb melted pork fat
- 2 glasses water
- 0.5 lb + 0.1 lb almond
- 0.05 lb fresh yeast
- salt and black pepper to taste
Recipe for Taralli with Pepper and Almond
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, add salt, pepper and fat.
- Adding flour and the rest of the water gradually knead soft non-sticky dough.
- Mix it with chopped almond leaving 0.1 lb of almond intact.
- Roll the dough up into a ball, cover it and leave to come to for 40 minutes.
- Then roll it out into thin sticks about 30cm long. Fold them in two, make into spirals and pinch the edges thus making rings.
- Press 2 whole almond nuts into every ring.
- Leave the rings on the baking tray for about 20 minutes more.
- After that put into the pre-heated oven.
- Bake until they acquire a golden color at 320 degrees. The taralli ought to come out dry both outside and inside.