Borsch, or borscht, is a soup from Eastern Europe, which name comes from the strong red color given by the beetroot – the main ingredient. Borsch can be vegetarian or with meat.
You can use beef, pork or chicken – just to your taste. But it should always contain carrots, potato and beetroot, which gives the borsch its color.
As beet (actually the substances in it) is nutritious itself, it provides a whole range of healthy processes in organism.
Borsch is of vital importance for the organism, especially in winter. Exactly hot and aromatic borsch warms very well in cold weather. It gives energy and warmth, activates metabolism and blood circulation, restores the balance of liquid, which influences blood pressure. Borsch contains a lot of vitamins and healthy minerals. This is a perfect gastritis prevention.
Borsch can be eaten both at lunch and dinner, especially by those, who would like to lose weight. European nutritionists have found, that most thin women eat soups a lot. It happens, that soups contain much fewer calories than our organism requires to digest them.
Ingredients for Borsch
- 700 -800 g meat,
- 2 carrots,
- 3-4 potato,
- 300 g cabbage,
- 2 onions,
- 50 g parsley,
- 3-4 tomatoes,
- 1 beetroots,
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil,
- 20 g vine vinegar,
- 3 bay leaves,
- 1 garlic clove,
- Salt, tomato sauce, to taste.
Preparation of Borsch
- Wash and peel all vegetables, cut them into small pieces.
- Fry chopped onion in olive oil till it becomes golden brown, then add grated carrots and beet.
- Fry for about 10 minutes over medium heat, then add cut tomatoes and fry for more 5 minutes.
- Put the meat in a stew pan, add 2-3 l water and boil for 40-50 minutes with bay leaves. Add chopped cabbage and boil for more 10 minutes. Then add potato and go on boiling for more 10 minutes.
- If you don’t use sauerkraut, add vinegar, then add fried onion, carrots and beet, and tomato sauce 2-3 tablespoons. Boil everything together for 10 minutes.
- Mince garlic, parsley and add them to the stew pan. Then turn off.
- Cover the stew pan. It can be eaten in 10-20 minutes.