Sardine is a smallish fish of the herring class. Try and cook it with the sauce of orange juice, the way they do it in Calabria. You will surely want to repeat the pleasure again and again. The exquisite orange and ginger sauce goes perfectly with the delicate taste of sardines.
Ingredients for Sardines with Orange Sauce
- 1.2 lb sardines
- 2-3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Recipe for Sardines with Orange Sauce
- Clean the fishes of the scales, gut it, cut the heads off and take out the spine with the ribs.
- Roll the fillets over in flour and fry on olive oil, first on the skin side.
- When the fish is ready take it out. Put grated ginger into the frying pan where you have just fried the fish; in a minute pour in juice squeezed from oranges. Simmer the sauce for about 3 minutes, salt and pepper.
- Pour the warm sauce over the fried sardines and serve