Challah, sweet plaited bread, is traditionally baked in Israel for Sabbath or for holidays. Here is the simplest of its recipes. Fresh tasty challah will look good on any table. It’s excellent with tea or coffee, children like it with milk.
Ingredients for Challah
- 1 lb flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- salt to taste
- 0.05 lb yeast
- 0.1 lb butter
- 0.3 pt milk
- an egg
- 1 bag vanilla
Recipe for Challah
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add an egg, melted butter, sugar, vanilla and salt to taste.
- Knead soft non-sticky dough adding flour gradually. Put it into a bowl, cover up with a towel and leave it to come to.
- When the dough has swollen to twice its size, divide it into 6 pieces and make a roll out of every piece.
- Make two plaits, cover up with a film and leave for 40 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 356 degrees. Put the plaits onto a baking tray, oil them and bake for half an hour.