Fri, Jan 30, 2009 | |
Duck meat is dark, tasty and it goes well with succulent napa cabbage. We baked the duck whole marinating it in sour cream and orange juice sauce with onion and apple vinegar. The taste came out just amazing. Juice and flavor of duck meat combined with those of stuffing created delicate and exotic taste.
Ingredients for Stuffed Duck
- 5.5 lb (2.5kg) whole duck
Ingredients for Marinade
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 100g apple vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons sour cream
- 100g water
- 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground bay leaf
- Sea salt
Ingredients for Filling
- 300g napa cabbage
- Duck insides, liver, heat and stomach
- 200g lean ham
- 1 tomato
Cooking Instructions for Marinade
- Chop garlic finely; cut onion into half-slices.
- Cut unpeeled orange into half-slices.
- In a large bowl or a pot, combine orange slices, onion, garlic and salt and press with hands well to release juice.
- Now add bay leaf, black pepper, rosemary, sour cream, apple vinegar and water.
- Rinse duck in running water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Rub the duck with marinade inside and outside and let stand for a few hours in a fridge. Turn it over occasionally to ensure better marinating. Marinate duck for 4-5 hours.
Cooking Instructions for the Filling
- Finely chop napa cabbage, ham, insides, tomato and add salt to taste.
- Add marinated onion, garlic and orange and simmer the mixture over low heat.
- Then stuff the duck with this mixture, wrap in foil and put into oven.
- Baking time depends on the duck’s size. In our recipe, we baked duck wrapped in foil for 1 hour, then unwrapped it and bake for additional 1 hour until brown crispy crust.