These are delicious pies, widespread in the Balkans. In Bulgaria, such pies made of thin dough are called banitsa.
Gibanica is really easy to make, if you already have ready-made filo dough.
Arranging the pie and preparing the filling takes only a few minutes.
And the result is amazing – a delicious layer pie that is melting in your mouth.
Ingredients for Gibanica Serbian Cheese Pie
- Filo (phyllo) dough: 250 gr.
- Feta cheese: 250 gr.
- Clotted cream, mascarpone or Greek yogurt: 100 gr.
- Milk: 50 gr.
- Eggs: 3
- Butter: 100 gr.
Recipe for Gibanica Serbian Cheese Pie
- Mix milk, eggs, clotted cream or yogurt, and mashed feta in a bowl. Mix them without whisking, let the small lumps of cheese remain.
- Grease the mold, put sheets of filo dough in 2-3 layers, greasing each with melted butter. Arrange the dough so that it could rise against the walls and slightly hang over the edges.
- Then crumple 8-10 dough sheets, one at a time, and submerge them in a filling, stir them there and put the lumps in the mold, next to one another, until the filling ends.
- Cover them with 2-3 layers of dough, generously greasing them with oil.
- Bend the hanging dough edges to the inside, as if covering the pie.
- Bake it for 25-35 minutes. If the pie browns quickly on top, cover it with foil and continue baking.
- Leave the cake to cool in the oven is turned off.