Those who prefer light vegetarian diet but also want to indulge themselves in something really tasty are going to enjoy this recipe. All the ingredients in this recipe team up perfectly to create a pleasant and well-balanced taste that exceeds all expectations. This pie is amazingly soft with juicy filling that just melts in your mouth.
Ingredients for Puff Paste
- 250 g flour
- 250 g butter or margarine
- 1/2 glass dry white wine
- If you don’t want fuss in the kitchen, there is frozen puff paste available in stores.
Ingredients for the Filling
- 1 large potato
- 2 eggplants
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 large sweet peppers
- 1 lettuce salad
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 lb (500 g) oyster mushrooms
- 8 garlic cloves
- Couple of large leaves
- Couple of parsley stalks
- Olive oil
- First make puff paste. Combine the flour with wine and add a pinch of salt. If the dough is too thick, add water. Knead the dough until not sticky and then form a ball.
- Now roll out the dough into as thin as possible layer. Coat the layer with soft butter and fold it up in half. Then roll out a thin layer again, coat with butter and fold up in half.
- Repeat the process until all butter runs out. Then roll the dough into a tube, wrap in a plastic film and put into a fridge for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Boil potatoes until soft and cut into pieces. Slice sweet peppers and sauté with chopped garlic in olive oil for about five minutes.
- Slice eggplants and fry on both sides until soft. Simmer lettuce leaves with a garlic clove under lid until soft. Add salt to taste.
- Chop oyster mushrooms and simmer with garlic and parsley in olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Slice tomatoes and simmer for 2-3 minutes over low heat. Sauté onion until golden.
- Take out the puff paste out of the fridge and roll out. Cut off 4 stripes for garnishing.
- Dust a baking sheet with breadcrumbs or line it with baking sheet paper. Arrange the puff paste on the baking sheet so that it forms a bowl.
- Grate garlic and carrot coarsely for filling.
- Now spread boiled potatoes evenly over the puff pastry and sprinkle with grated carrot and garlic mixture. Season with little salt.
- Put eggplant slices on the top, sprinkle with parsley, grated carrot and garlic.
- Add tomato slices and basil and top with simmered sweet pepper, lettuce and sautéed onion.
- Last layer is simmered mushrooms topped with basil leaves.
- Put four stripes of dough on top of the filling and fix the edges of pie so they don’t come apart while baking.
- Heat an oven to 350-390 F (180-200 C) and put the pie inside.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, turning the baking sheet around occasionally to ensure the pie is baked evenly.
- Bake until the dough stripes on top are nicely brown. Remove basil leaves covering the layer of mushrooms.
- Let cool and then transfer the pie from the baking sheet. Put on a serving plate and serve.