Short pastry does not tolerate a long treatment; it becomes overkneaded and too thick. That is why this pie requires quickness and skill. And there is one more trick – you’ll need a cake hoop because the dough is so delicate and crumbly that it will be very problematic to get the pie out of a usual form without breaking it.
Ingredients for Short Pastry
- 0.3 lb butter
- 0.3 lb sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons kefir
- 1 bag baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- flour as much as needed
Ingredients for Filling
- 4-5 apples
- 0.4 lb prunes
- 0.3 lb sugar
- 1 oz butter
- 0.1 pt water
- Peel apples, remove the seeds, cut them along into not very thin slices.
- Soak prunes in water for 15 minutes, then wash them and drain using a colander.
- Put a piece of butter into a frying pan with a thick bottom, add water and sugar.
- Put it over a very low heat. Boil the syrup stirring it constantly. Continue boiling until the syrup becomes like caramel. The caramel mustn’t get too dark.
- Put in apples and boil them in the caramel until they get soft, over a very low heat. Turn the heat off.
- Now it is time to make the dough. Whip up eggs with butter and sugar. Add a pinch of salt, vanilla, two spoons of kefir and baking powder.
- Then add flour gradually. Knead the dough until it is soft and not sticky.
- Quickly spread the dough with your hands in a cake hoop.
- Put the warm apples on the dough, spread prunes between the apples and pour the caramel from the frying pan over everything.
- Fold the pie edges, top the pie with dough strips.
- Bake the pie in an oven preheated to 360 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Cut the pie when it has cooled down.