Torcetti are traditional Italian cookies made in Piedmont. They are soft sugar-coated swirls. They are dipped in wine before eating. The recipe seems to be a simple one but there are a couple of fine points, so follow the recipe carefully for excellent results.
Ingredients for Torcetti Sugar Cookies
- 1.1 pt flour(500 gr = 3 or 3,5 cup)
- 0.5 pt warm water (280ml = 1 + 1/4 cup)
- 0.05 lb fresh yeast (20 gr. fresh yeast = 7gr dry yeast or 1,5 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 0.4 lb butter (200 gr. or 1 cup)
- 1 cup of sugar for coating
Recipe for Torcetti Sugar Cookies
- Dissolve yeast in 5 teaspoons warm water with sugar and salt.
- Sift flour and add the yeast. Knead soft and non-sticky dough adding warm water.
- Roll the dough into a ball, put it into a bowl, cover up with a cloth and let it swell up for an hour.
- Put the dough on a table strewn with flour and knead with butter of room temperature for 10 minutes. Put it into the bowl again and let it stand for one more hour.
- After that knead the dough a little more and roll pencil-thin sticks about 10 cm long.
- Roll them around in sugar and pinch the ends shaping them like drops.
- Place the torcetti on a baking sheet sprinkled with flour.
- Bake in the oven pre-heated to 428 F degrees for 15 minutes.