Greek pies are made from thin dough, and they do not have a single specific recipe. There are many different pie recipes under this name, and sometimes they are different and dissimilar.
To succeed in cooking a dough sheet for a bougatsa pie, you need some great skill and artistry. The dough is rotated at an angle of 70 degrees to obtain the thinnest degree of stretching.
Next, wrap some stuffing in it and bake. The taste of this pie is perfect, and you will admire it once and for ever.
If you do not have any experience of rotating a dough sheet, buy ready-made filo dough. Or make by recipe for Strudel dough.
We had two pies. In one, we added raisins, and the other was only with cream. With raisins we liked more.
Ingredients for Greek Bougatsa Pie
- Filo dough: 200 gr.
- Melted butter for greasing dough layers: 80-100 gr.
- 35% cream: 250 gr.
- Semolina: 2-3 tablespoons.
- Cup of sugar.
- Cream cheese: 200 gr.
- Raisins: optional.
Recipe for Greek Bougatsa Pie
- First, prepare the cream. In a saucepan, let the cream boil with sugar. Add semolina, vanilla and let it get thick. When the cream is cooled, mix it with cream cheese.
- Roll out the dough on a greasing baking sheet. Grease it with melted butter. Add 4-5 layers of dough, lubricating them with oil.
- Put the cream on top of dough and shape a pie.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven, at 180C about 30-40 min.
- Leave in the oven to cool and enjoy.