The Abruzzo region where we live is famous for good mutton. Here, sheep graze on pure mountain pastures, so their meat is extremely tasty and soft. In fact, it does not need any special cooking methods. Everything is simple.
In Italian dish called – Spalla di agnello alle erbe.
Ingredients for Roast Lamb Shoulder
- Lamb shoulder: about 1-1.5 kg.
- Couple tablespoons of olive oil and the same amount of dry red wine.
- Rosemary, black and pink pepper, red pepper, a few cloves of garlic, and salt.
Recipe for Roast Lamb Shoulder
- The shoulder can be separated at the joints, and can be left whole, as you wish.
- Make several horizontal punctures with a long knife in the pulp.
- Rub together the spices and garlic, add some wine, oil, and prepare a fragrant mixture.
- Spread the mixture over the chunks of meat, poking it inside the punctures too. Leave the meat to soak for 4-5 hours.
- Roast the meat on the grill or in the oven for 180C about 1 hour. We got it excellent – tender and juicy.
- However, if your lamb meat is of another quality – harder and drier – it can be baked in foil. When the meat is almost ready, open the foil to let it brown a little.