Tuna fishing season is now open. So you can enjoy simple but appetizing dishes made with this delicious fish. Tuna is one of many species in the family Thunnus that also includes mackerel, anchovies, and tonnetti – a kind of small tunafish. Adding any kind of fish to your diet will enrich your body with phosphorus, zinc, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids which among their other health benefits have a direct effect on libido enhancement. The following recipe includes red wine that gives a dish peculiar taste and aroma and goes well with piquant flavor of basil and oregano.
Ingredients for Pan-Seared Tuna with Tomatoes
1.6-1.8lb fresh tuna
1-2 big tomatoes
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 large garlic cloves
2-3 parsley stalks
Several fresh basil leaves
2-3 dashes dried oregano
Salt to taste
1/2 cup dry red wine
Recipe for Pan-Seared Tuna with Tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add minced garlic to the oil.
- Add one, or two, peeled and finely chopped big ripe tomato. Season to taste with salt.
- Put tuna pieces, rinsed and scaled beforehand, into the sauce.
- Sprinkle fish pieces with oregano, rubbing it between your fingers to release its wonderful aroma.
- Add chopped parsley and basil.
- Pour dry red wine over everything.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or so.
- Uncover, increase the heat to high, and simmer for additional 2-3 minutes until all liquid from the sauce has evaporated.
- Serve hot.
Note: The dish goes well with croutons soaked in Brodetto sauce, or with thinly sliced grilled potatoes.