In Italy, deep fried seafood called – fritto misto di mare. In Naples is a signature dish, for which use fresh seafood: squid, shrimp and small fish, in the tradition – is red mullet (triglie).
Misto is fried in a large amount of oil. Eventually, everything turns out to be crispy and of a gold hue. Yummy!
Ingredients for Deep Fried Seafood
- Shrimp: 400 gr.
- Squid: 400 gr.
- Red mullet: 300 gr.
- Durum flour: as you need.
- Vegetable oil (olive oil is used in Italy, but it is possible and sunflower) as you need (we spend about 1-1.5 liters).
Recipe for Deep Fried Seafood
- The fish should be gutted, cleaned off the scales and washed. Heads is better not remove, with them tastier.
- Shrimps are used with the shell. The latter turns crispy and tasty. If the shrimps are not very large, some people prefer to eat them with the shell. Therefore, it is sufficient to wash shrimps with running water.
- Gut the squids and remove the chitin rod and the eyes. The carcass should be cut across into ring-shaped pieces.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer, about 175C.
- Put the fish in a bowl with flour and then in a sieve; sift to remove excess flour.
- Fry the fish (each type separately), in small portions, making sure the oil does not reduce its temperature and does not rise too high.
- First, we recommend fry red mullet, squid and then shrimps.
- Never put too much fish into oil at a time.
- When the fishes are gold brown, remove them with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with a tissue to remove excess oil.
- Do not forget to add salt immediately after cooking and never before frying, otherwise the fish will not be crispy!